We know you don’t have loads of spare time and energy and you don’t want to have to choose between your workout and your family time. Which is cool, because you can do both.
And while you’re at it, you’ll show your kids what an active lifestyle looks like, so they’ll be more likely to stick to it when they get older.
Find something you all love doing together
Enjoyment is a massive part of actually sticking to something in the long run. What can you do that makes you and your family happy but also gets your heart racing?
If you and your family are quite outdoorsy, how about a hike? If you like doing fun things for a good cause, how about a walk to pick up litter, or taking a shelter dog for a run on the weekends?
Are you and your family homebodies? Create obstacle courses in the garden. Don’t let winter stop you. Get muddy. Remember, the goal is to make it really fun for everyone. If you really don’t want to go outside, move the couch and bring the fun indoors. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you’re getting that heart rate up.
Start healthy habits
Start fun, active routines Saturday mornings at your club pool. If your kids are old enough, how about taking them through your routine with you? It’s a fun bonding experience. Here are a few other ideas.
– Do a class together – ride, kick, the Grid. Teens are welcome to take part in any group exercise class. Just check your club’s timetable.
– A Saturday swim. No matter what the weather is doing outside, our pools are always heated, so there’s no excuse.
– If the weather is too good to stay indoors, step outside. Take the dogs to the beach. Go for a hike with a picnic basket.
– Make an after-school walk a new tradition, or a bike ride, or make it an after-dinner thing. It doesn’t matter when you do it as long as you do it.
– Enjoy Meatless Mondays. Vegetarian meals can be so tasty and good for your health. Try making these recipes together.
It’s not easy, but with some thought and dedication, you can stay fit and spend quality time with your family.
Source: Virgin Active